Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Beginning of First Project

      Okay, so for the first project that I am planning I will improve my sewing skills and learn how to research and create period costumes. This project will increase my knowledge of both theater arts and my skills as a seamstress. I am attempting to make a coat and skirt for the costume construction part of the District Thespians competion. I chose to make a costume for the character of Eliza Doolittle from the Ascot Gavotte scene from My Fair Lady. I chose this scene because of the artistic freedom given the costumer, the play script simply says that Eliza is dressed exquisitely, this can be interpreted any way. I have chosen a pattern with a fitted, high collared, lace trimmed jacket paired with a trumpet shaped full legnth skirt. I found fabric both at JoAnn's and Calico Corners, both of which had sales on the fabrics I was looking for.
      I tried to find fabric that did match the time period and would look nice on stage under the lights. I'm using a red and gold brocade for the coat with a gold lining, covered buttons, and cream lace. For the skirt I'm using a cream duck fabric with a scarlet ribbon trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment